If you are fond of wearing opal jewelery then you must know how to take care of opal jewelery too. More than any other gem, each opal is distinctly an individual. These gems are unique and have their own descriptive vocabulary. These are both one of the luckiest and unluckiest gems a person can own. These gems require proper care to keep them healthy and longitive. Opal word has been derived from a Latin word “opalus” came to mean precious stone. The effect of jewelery becomes startlingly beautiful when shimmery opal adorns the jewelery pieces. People who are born in the month of October are fortune to have opal as their birthstone. Opal gems are very sensitive as well as delicate to heat, so you have to take care of them while you wear opal jewelery. Particularly opal rings are very fragile and prone to damage from cracking or chipping if care is not taken while wearing these. Proper care of opal rings can keep them beautiful and shimmering for years.
How To Take Care Of Opal Jewelry
- Moisten a cloth to make the cloth damp and fold it up into a small square. Place this cloth in a plastic bag. Place the opal jewellery in the plastic bag with that damp cloth and seal the bag. Store the opal jewelery item in this plastic bag with the damp cloth when you are not wearing the jewelery, this will prevent the opal from drying out. Try not to store opal jewelery in glycerin or oil as it can damage the opal gem.
- You should wear gloves on the hands to protect the opal jewelery like rings from extreme temperature fluctuations while going outside such as in winter season. Opal gems can withstand both low and high temperatures but the fluctuations in temperature can cause the opal to crack. If you cover the opal ring with a glove before going outside then it can help you to protect the opal gem from damage.
- Prevention is the best solution to chipping and scratching. Opal are best for brooches, pendants and earrings. These jewels receive less contact with harder objects, as compared to a finger ring. If you get a opal ring then choose the setting that protects the gem from coming in contact with other hard objects.
- Opal come from the dark and moisty areas of the Earth. These gems are bounded with their origins, so these like to be kept in dark in the future life as the jewelery too. First step to keep the Opal’s vividness and shine is to keep them in a dark place while not wearing it. Keep the opal jewellery in jewelery box to maintain its sparkle. The more humid the place of opal is, better will be the opal.
- If you are wearing opal ring then avoid knocks and bumps to the opal rings. Opal scratch easily because these gems are relatively soft. If are are going to be engaged in any work which can chip or bump the ring then firstly remove the ring.
- Polish the opal jewelery with a cloth saturated with tepid water. Apply a small amount of dish washing detergent to the cloth and then wipe the opal jewelery items with the cloth. Rinse the opal jewelery items in clean water to remove all the soap residues. Dry the ring well before polishing it.
All these tips are very simple and will tell you how you can take care of opal jewelery in order to make your opal gems look fresh and beautiful for lifetime.